Research & Development Centres
The Hong Kong R&D Centre Programme is the core initiative driven by the Innovation and Technology Commission of HKSAR Government with the aim to harness Hong Kong's advantages in applied research, intellectual property protection, business-friendly environment and proximity to the manufacturing based in the Pearl River Delta (PRD) region, to thrive as a regional technology service hub.
In April 2006, Government set up five R&D Centres to drive and coordinate applied R&D in selected focus areas and to promote commercialisation of R&D results and technology transfer-
- Automotive Platforms and Application Systems R&D Centre (APAS);
- Hong Kong Applied Science and Technology Research Institute ("ASTRI"), designated as the R&D Centre for Information and Communications Technologies;
- Hong Kong Research Institute of Textiles and Apparel (HKRITA);
- Logistics and Supply Chain MultiTech R&D Centre (LSCM); and
- Nano and Advanced Materials Institute (NAMI).